When life gets ridiculously busy, it feels impossible to get a healthy dinner on the table sometimes, but this simple Instant pot Swiss Steak takes a mere 5 minutes to put together, and tastes like you cooked all day.
The meat is tender.
The veggies are soft, and there is a beautiful tomato sauce that you can serve as is or thicken for some extra yumminess.
This recipe is wonderful with mashed potatoes, but if you are truly in a hurry, you can add the potatoes and have everything in one pot.
It’s easy to make and easy to clean up.
Who doesn’t love that?
Chopping veggies and peeling potatoes took a good long while, as did the hours of cooking..
I loved the way those meals made the house smell.
Now I can make that happen in minutes rather than hours.
I love a meal that makes me look like a cooking genius but only takes minutes to prepare.
How simple is it?
This recipe is veggies, spices, meat and tomato sauce.
When I say it takes five minutes to put together, I mean it.
I truly think that anyone can make this.
The Instant Pot so many recipes easier and faster.
Just wait until you see..
Potatoes, rice or something else?
This is a meal that always included potatoes when my mom made it.
She would served mashed russets.
I most often include baby Yukon golds, but occasionally use petite or new red potatoes.
They all work beautifully
If you you want to know more about which potatoes to use, you can check out Potato Goodness for more information on the humble potato.
Some people prefer their swiss steak with rice, some with noodles and some with cauliflower rice.
Whichever way you choose to serve this wonderful dish, it will taste amazing.
Let’s get cooking!
Here are a few tips to make sure your meal prep is as easy as possible.
- Assemble all of your ingredients in the order that you will use them.
- Peel and quarter your onions.
- Cut your potatoes into bite sized pieces if not using petite.
- Measure out the garlic powder and onion powder.
- If possible, cook with someone and have them read the recipe to you as you cook because cooking is more fun with people and then you won’t skip any steps, but that’s almost impossible with this recipe.
- If you’re cooking this on your own, read through the entire recipe before you start cooking. There are not that many steps, and I write recipes as if people are brand new cooking.
- Have fun. Cooking is a skill I believe anyone can learn and master with practice. Everyone who cooks well has messed up and thrown a meal in the garbage. Honestly, no one I’ve ever shared this recipe with has ever messed it up because it is so simple and easy.
- 2 1/2 pounds round steak
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 2" pieces
- 2 medium onions, quartered or 1/2 cup dried minced onion
- 24 ounces Yukon gold petite potatoes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the potatoes in the bottom of the Instant pot.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery.
- Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper over the veggies.
- Place the round steak on top.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the meat and veggies.
- Place the lid on your Instant pot, making sure that the release valve is in the closed position.
- Set the Instant pot to Manual for 30 minutes.
- After the cooking cycle, let the Instant pot naturally pressure release for at least 10 minutes.
- Release any residual pressure and enjoy!
You can make this same recipe in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
USDA Choice Beef Top Round Steak, 1 lb
Muir Glen, Organic Chunky Tomato Sauce, 28 oz
365 Everyday Value, Organic Baby Carrots, 1 lb
Organic Yellow Onions, 3 lb
Tanimura & Antle, Organic Celery Hearts, 1 Bunch
Peewee Potatoes, 16 oz
McCormick Minced Onion (Organic, Non-GMO, Kosher), 10.3 oz
McCormick Onion Powder, 2.62 oz
McCormick Classic Garlic Powder, 3.12 oz
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (4-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe ),Clear
Accmor 11 Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons Cups Set, Premium Stackable Tablespoons Measuring Set for Gift Dry Liquid Ingredients Cooking Baking
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Hamilton Beach Portable 6-Quart Set & Forget Digital Programmable Slow Cooker With Temperature Probe, Lid Lock, Stainless Steel (33969A)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 12 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 47g
All nutrition information is approximate and for informational use only. Your serving sizes and nutrition information may differ.
I love it when recipes share what the cooking process looks like so I know if I’m doing it right.
This recipe has so few steps, you only need a few pictures.
How awesome is that?
Follow the cooking process for Instant pot Swiss steak here
Are there any other recipes you would like to see converted into an Instant Pot recipe?
If so, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll see what we can do.
Better yet, sign up below to get our recipes and more in your inbox.
In the meantime, check out these other amazing Instant Pot recipes.
Other delicious Instant Pot recipes you might enjoy
All original images in this article by Christopher Bemmes