If you like Chicken Fried Rice, but are avoiding eating out, this Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice recipe is for you.
Even better, it’s easy to make, even for a beginner, and it’s tasty my friend.
I would also imagine that it is a healthier version of your favorite take out dish.
I looked at Fat Secret’s nutritional information versus this recipe and here’s how things stack up.
This recipe is lighter in every category except protein, so that’s pretty awesome in my book.
For a side by side comparison, you can use the nutritional information in the recipe below.
How I fell in love with fried rice
Most people were introduced to fried rice in an Asian restaurant.
I was introduced to fried rice by my aunt who was born and raised in Vietnam.
Her fried rice is still my favorite, although my mom’s is a close second.
The difference is that theirs uses different proteins.
My aunt used to make her fried rice with ham, egg and shrimp.
My mom dropped the shrimp when she developed an allergy to shellfish.
Vietnamese fried rice with eggs and green onions is much simpler than the version we’re about to make, but it’s still a favorite childhood memory and taste.
Tips for Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice Success
Gather your ingredients before you start cooking, especially when you’re working with a new cuisine.
If you’re new to using your Instant pot, rice dishes are a great place to start learning.
Chicken fried rice might just become a go to meal because it’s so easy to make, and you’ll only need one pot for cooking.
Rice is also a great ingredient for making frugal dishes, so you can stretch your cooking budget, and if you mess up, it’s not a huge deal either.
Here are a some extra tips to make this dish as easy as possible.
- Assemble all of your ingredients in the order that you will use them.
- Peel and dice your onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Chop your chicken into bite sized pieces
- If possible, cook with someone and have them read the recipe to you as you cook because cooking is more fun with people and then you won’t skip any steps, not that I’ve ever done that (cough cough yes I have).
- If you’re cooking this on your own, read through the entire recipe before you start cooking. There are several steps, and I write recipes as if people are new to cooking.
- Have fun. Cooking is a skill I believe anyone can learn and master with practice. Everyone great cook has messed up and thrown meals in the garbage. If you mess up, there’s alwaysdeliver, but if you follow the steps here,hopefully you can avoid that, at least tonight.
Let’s get cooking!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 20 ounces frozen long grain rice with vegetables
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 green onions
- Select Saute on your Instant Pot and add chicken when oil heats up.
- Cook the chicken for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Use an ounce or so of chicken stock to deglaze the pot, scraping up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the onion and celery and stir to incorporate.
- Pour in the rest of the chicken stock
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Pour the rice and veggie mix in the pot.
- Do not stir.
- Press Cancel/Keep Warm, place the lid on the Instant Pot making sure the vent is closed, and set the Instant Pot on Manual for 1 minute.
- After cooking, let the Instant Pot naturally pressure release for 4 minutes.
- Release the remaining pressure, open and pour the beaten eggs into the mixture and stir until cooked.
- Add green onion and serve.
If you prefer, you can cook the eggs first and set aside to stir into the rice after you cook it. I like it either way, but my family prefers the bigger pieces of egg from pre-made eggs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crisco, Pure Vegetable Oil, 48 oz
Birds Eye Steamfresh Long Grain White Rice with Mixed Vegetables, 10 OZ
Swansons Chicken Stock, 32 oz
San-J Organic Gluten Free Soy Sauce Tamari -- 10 fl oz - 2 pc
Kadoya Sesame Oil, 22.10 Fluid Ounce
Accmor 11 Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons Cups Set, Premium Stackable Tablespoons Measuring Set for Gift Dry Liquid Ingredients Cooking Baking
Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (4-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe ),Clear
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 19g
All nutrition information is approximate and for informational use only. Your serving sizes and nutrition information may differ.
I share pictures of the cooking process when I can and hope they help you to see how things look as you make them.
For this recipe, my son helped with the photography.
Neither of us is a professional photographer but hopefully you get an idea of how the recipe should look.
Even if our photos aren’t the greatest, I think they’re still helpful, and I hope you do too.
Follow along with pictures of the cooking process.
Homemade Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
For those who prefer a grain free version, I also have a recipe for Instant Pot Cauliflower Fried Rice.
It may not look like a traditional fried rice, but for those who are looking for a grain free option, it’s pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.
All original image in this article by Christopher Bemmes.
Additional Instant Pot recipes you might like
Final notes about this dish
You can easily adapt this recipe for beef or pork fried rice.
To adapt it for shrimp fried rice, I would buy pre-cooked mini shrimp and add after cooking the rice so your shrimp doesn’t chew like rubber.
If you want your chicken fried rice with brown rice, you need to add cooking time, and I would suggest making the rice ahead and stirring in at the end, after the egg cooks.
The Instant pot rice button cooks rice for 12 minutes.
For a well cooked brown rice, a 20 minute cook time is better.
If you really want to use brown rice and cook everything at the same time, I would using only fresh veggies, but using pre-cooked chicken, like rotisserie chicken as your protein source.
That way you can stir the meat in at the end without overcooking it.