I started making London Broil long before I had an Instant Pot.
We prefer a medium rare, teriyaki version, and two pounds of deliciousness was gone in a matter of minutes when I had three teenage boys.
These days, we get leftovers from a 2 pound round steak because my older two boys have moved out and started their adult lives.
I still buy the bigger cut, because who doesn’t love a recipe that serves you more than one meal?
What is London broil?
Did you know that London Broil is a preparation of thick cut round steak?
If not, now you do so let’s talk about that.
Round steak comes from the rear leg of the cow.
It is divided into cuts that include the eye round, bottom round, and top round, with or without the “round” bone.
You can learn much more about beef cuts on Food.com.
Round steak is a moderately tough cut which doesn’t lend itself to grilling or other “dry” cooking methods.
That makes it perfect for the Instant Pot, as long as you know what you’re doing.
If not, you’ll end up with an inedible meat brick.
So how do you avoid a meat brick?
It starts with marinating,
The best Teriyaki beef marinade
Our favorite marinade is Soy Vay, and our favorite is Hoisin Garlic.
If you’re someone who plans ahead, you can purchase a few round steaks and freeze them in the marinade, which makes it so easy and simple when you’e ready to cook them.
As the frozen marinade thaws, it infuses the round steak with all of its yumminess.
You can even cook a partially frozen round steak in your Instant pot for a more rare piece of meat.
And finally, if you’re lucky enough to have a few leftovers, you can re-purpose that lovely meat into an amazing Asian taco by adding a bit of Kimchi and Sriracha mayo or make a delicious beef fried rice.
How to choose the right cut of round steak
When you buy round steak in the store, it is usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
That is great for Swiss steak, but not for London Broil.
Some stores sell a London broil cut that is thicker, but if you want the best cut, go to your local butcher.
They can cut a piece of round steak whatever thickness you choose.
I recommend a 2 inch thick piece for this recipe.
I know it looks huge, but it will cook to a delicious medium to medium rare, and you will love it.
- 2 lbs London broil.
- 10 ounces Soy Vay Very Very Teriyaki
- 3 tablespoons canola oil.
- 2 onions sliced thin1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Gojuchang sauce (optional).
- Place the London Broil/Round steak in a resealable plastic bag or marinating container (see recommended products for options)
- The container you use determines how long to marinate the steak. If you use a resealable plastic bag, marinate at least four hours. If you use a marinating container, follow the guidelines for that.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and reserve ½ cup of the marinade.
- Some people prefer to pat the meat dry for a crustier sear. Some people prefer to let the marinade help the caramelization process. Your choice.
- Add the oil to the inner pot of your pressure cooker.
- Press saute. As soon as the oil starts to shimmer, add the meat and sear on each side plus the edge with the fat strip, two to three minutes per side.
- Remove the meat from the pot and place on a clean plate,
- Add the beef stock and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom and/or sides of the Instant Pot. If there are browned bits stuck to the bottom, the Instant
Pot may not cook properly.
- Add the onions and stir to coat.
- Place the meat back in the Instant Pot
- Press Keep Warm/Cancel to turn off the saute feature, secure the lid, make sure the vent is closed and press Manual, setting the time for 1 minute. I know that sounds crazy but stay with me.
- The quick release feature makes the meat tough, so the meat will continue to cook while the Instant Pot naturally pressure releases for 10 minutes.
- When that ten minute mark comes, release any leftover pressure and open the lid carefully, press Keep Warm/Cancel and then saute.
- Immediately remove the London Broil and place on a different clean plate.
- Allow the sauce to reduce for at least 2-3 minutes, scraping the bottom for any remaining browned bits.
- Cut the London Broil thinly and against the grain for the most tender slices.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles rice Shirataki noodles, cauli-rice or spaghetti squash using the onions to finish the dish.
- If you like your food spicy, finish with a dash of Gojuchang sauce drizzled on top.
There are several types of Soy Vay, so pick the one you like best.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Less Sodium Marinade & Sauce, 21 Ounce Bottle (Package may vary)
Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce, 21 Ounce Bottle (Package may vary)
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
FoodSaver FM2435 Vacuum Sealer Machine with Bonus Handheld Sealer and Starter Kit | Safety Certified | Silver
Jim Beam Vacuum Sealed Marinade Box for Grilling and Barbecue, Standard, Red
FoodSaver Vacuum Seal Quick Marinator, 2.25 Quarts - T02-0050-05
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 4 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 18gCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 34g
Nutrition information is approximate and provided for your convenience. Consult packaging for more detailed information.
Follow the cooking process for Easy Teriyaki Instant Pot London Broil in pictures
Are there any other recipes you would like to see converted into an Instant Pot recipe?
If so, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll see what we can do.
Better yet, sign up below to get our recipes and more in your inbox.
In the meantime, check out these other amazing Instant Pot gems.
Other delicious Instant Pot recipes
All original images in this article by Christopher Bemmes