One of the best moments in college is getting a care package from home. While there are several companies that create pre-made care packages, nothing beats a fun college care package from home to make your college student feel loved and remembered. Below is a list of standard and not so standard items to include in your favorite college student’s care package from home, and if you have additional fun college care package ideas, please comment below so other parents can bless their college students as well.
Fun college care package ideas
- Homemade food items – Nothing beats food from home when you’re feeling homesick, and the best part is that homemade can be as simple as boxed brownies or homemade Rice Krispie treats. They are easy to make and easy to send. Tips for sending baked goods – Line your container with parchment paper and put a piece of parchment paper between each layer to keep baked goods from sticking together. Also, shoe boxes and small Amazon shipping boxes make great containers for baked goods. Not a baker? Try some of these other ideas to create your student’s fun college care package.
- Packaged snacks – Some students love variety, and some students love a single flavor of their favorite snack. Whether your student loves a Classic Mix of bagged snacks or a single snack like Cheez-Its, seeing that in their care package will make them smile and might inspire them to share with friends who need a pick me up too.
- Other food ideas – Every campus has local and national pizzeria and unique food chains. In the Midwest, Dewey’s Pizza is a growing chain college students love because it reminds them of the best pizzerias in their hometown. Another college favorite is Insomnia Cookies. Insomnia Cookies delivers fresh, warm cookies from noon until 3:00 am. For a college student studying for exams, the gift of warm cookies at 2:00 am is unbeatable. If you want to be a rock star parent, treat your college student to a dozen warm cookies during exam week. They will love it.
- More food – If you have college students that live on campus, they often complain about the food so any opportunity to eat away from campus to have something delivered is always welcome. One of the great ways you can help your student with that is by purchasing an Amazon gift card and letting your student choose gift cards for their favorite regional or national restaurants or get an Uber gift card which gives them transportation to a favorite restaurant or delivery from the restaurant if they participate in the Uber Eats delivery program. Want to really impress your child with your college care package? Include a list of local restaurants that use the Uber Eats program and save them the effort figuring it out for themselves.
- Extra campus spending power – One of the places every student visits is the campus book store. In addition to housing the books every student needs, most campus bookstores also offer spirit wear, branded items like water bottles and glasses, and any supplies your student needs to be successful in the classroom. What better way to get them to focus on that than with a bookstore gift card? Many schools also offer an option to add funds to a campus ID that also serves as a debit card on campus and local businesses around campus. Parents only need to log on to their own account and add funds to their student’s account. This is a great option if you or your student isn’t ready for the responsibility or commitment of a credit card but you want them to have the freedom to choose a treat now and then.
- Let them be a kid for just a moment – While this list is heavy on food items, after having three college students, you start seeing patterns and food says love to so many college students. One of the most fun items to send in a college care package is candy. No matter what age your college student, they love having their favorite candy to remind them of younger days. While chocolate is often a favorite, when the weather is warmer candy like Starburst, Skittles and Twizzlers handle the heat much better, so you can save the chocolate for cooler months.
- Let’s go to the movies – Whether it’s at the theater or an in house movie night, college students love to watch movies. Regal and AMC theaters are all nationwide, although it is wise to see which are more accessible to your student. If you prefer to help your student host a movie night in, you can obviously share your Netflix and Amazon Prime password and add a Movie Night Gift Basket or go old school with a Redbox Movie Night Care Package with a free DVD rental from Redbox. Whichever option you choose, your college student will love it.
Do you have fun college care package ideas?
While I have years of experience sending care packages to college, I enjoy hearing about other things that people send that make their particular college student happy. If you have a unique or fun item you would like to share, please leave a comment so the next list is more comprehensive. Also, in case you didn’t know, board games are incredibly popular among college students. You can check out some of their favorites by reading Board Games for College Students. This list is a compilation from several college students, and it’s eye opening for sure. If you are new to the college game, check out Dear mom of a college freshman, from a mama who have been there multiple times, I know how it feels to launch our babies into the world knowing no matter how old they are, they will always be our babies at heart.